I saw a few examples of scrap patchwork afghans, and some that were a deliberate mixing of what I thought were disparate colors. I didn’t care for many of the results, but I was intrigued by the concept. I wondered if I could blend some of my left over yarns through the color wheel. I pulled out the yellows… I was anxious to get rid of the yellows, as people kept giving them to me…. and tossed them on the table with some shaded browns and gold yarns. The possibility bloomed, so I started a panel with the idea of blending from one shade to another.
I stopped after the first three sections of that panel, and put it down for a while. I find yellows hard to work with. If the color is a greenish yellow, or too gold, it gives me a headache. If I can’t look at it, I can’t crochet with it. So, it was very hard for me to want to continue this work. I left it on the table for several days, until my mother saw it and thought it was nice.
I pondered it a while longer, and decided I might as well see where it goes. I began blending the next shades on through the greens and blues. Once I got past the yellows, the work was easier, and my enthusiasm returned. This project became three panels, shading the primary colors in contrasting positions through the color wheel to the top. Maybe not my favorite work, but Primary Patches is striking. It is now living with Mom.
The three panels are worked in double crochet to the desired length. This work is 63 rows in each panel. The first two panels begin with the primary color at the bottom and then blending up through the color wheel to the next shade. Panel one begins with yellow. Panel two begins with red. I began panel three with the greens at the bottom, so that the shades blending up would contrast positions with the other two panels. See Pattern Primary Patches. Let me know what you think.